6.16.2011

Life on the Farm


In an attempt to learn as much as I can about farm life (until I have one of my own), I have joined a group of volunteers at Ching Farm Rescue & Sanctuary. It's possible that some of my funniest and finest stories may come from this experience.

My first day on duty was spent training with the pigs. I don't know that I can adequately express how delightful and interesting pigs are. I think I was in a constant state of shock and laughter while trying to feed, water, clean and play with the pigs. Most of them have teen angst (seriously) and refuse to come out of their pens, only to eat. My favorite pig, Curtis, lives in a pen all by himself because he doesn't socialize well due to previous and abusive owners. Curtis sleeps in longer than anyone other animal on the farm, and to get him out to eat one has to slowly open his pen and let the sunlight stream in gently. "Wake up Curtis... time to get up..." He lifts his head and opens one eye... obviously annoyed that you woke him. "Don't you want breakfast??" He opens his other eye and his eyebrows raise... "Yes, you want breakfast." He takes about 15 minutes to realize that he has legs and can walk. Finally, he makes his way into the sunlight and grunts with more annoyance. Oh Curtis, you make me want a farm even more.

So yes, I'm one of those people who loves animals almost more than people. Farming seems so rewarding in so many ways. I also think it provides one of the best forms of physical exercise-- the way we were meant to exercise. Really. I can't wait to have my own little farm someday. Everyone and their dog is invited ;)

6 comments:

Mallory said...

Stop doing things I don't know about. You're throwing off my cycle.

We could own a pig AND a bulldog. Let's cry together just thinking about it.

Justin said...

Curtis. Curtis! I love this.

Rosemary Campbell said...

This just made me love you a hundred times more. I wish I were you.

Erin Bradley said...

this may be the coolest thing i have ever heard! hope there are a lot more farm stories to come.

Stephen said...

Let's swap pig stories.

Jefe said...

I have a pig story. But it'll put a damper on the mood of this one. Farming for the WIN.