3.06.2011

Teaching

Student teaching has been an up and down emotional roller coaster for me. I have learned that teachers hardly sleep, bring work home with them, and are greatly underpaid. However, there are so many rewarding aspects of teaching, and especially for art teachers. Perhaps my favorite part of teaching is just getting to know the kids and having conversations with them about life. Granted, you ask a junior high student about life and 9 times out of 10 you're going to hear about either Justin Bieber or Playstation. But still, great little conversations.

Last week one of my special ed. students came up and pulled me aside to tell me all about Mary Poppins. I learned what year it was made, that his grandparents went on a date to the movie, the release date of the special edition DVD... oh and it went on. I loved it though, he was so into Mary Poppins. So much so, that he drew this and gave it to me at the end of class:

It doesn't take much for me to get choked up over children's art work, and this one did it for me. So, so sweet.

P.S. I've started a new blog entitled the paleo project. It's a work in progress, but check it out and give me shout-outs of support throughout my paleo journey ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was my favorite part of working with the kids at the library in Columbus--great little conversations about their lives. I was emotional often.

How sweet is this drawing? This job suits you so, so well.

The Campbells said...

Love the picture. That is really sweet. You will be a great teacher, Amy!