1.20.2010

First Day of Classes

12:00 pm: Feeling cute, wearing a new sweater. Due to lack of parking on campus I park in downtown Tempe-- a 15 min walk to class. I don't mind, I like walking.

12:15 pm: Arrive on campus, overheated. Sweater was a bad decision.

12:16 pm: Take in the environment: Billions of young people in shorts yelling things like "party!" and "dance!"...I'm being dramatic, probably seeing things through the eyes of heat exhaustion.

12:20 pm: Walk into the bookstore.

extremely crowded

12:20:10 pm: Walk back out.

12:30 pm: Decide to get my ID card.

Forget to go fix myself in the mirror. This happens:
*I know it doesn't really look that bad right here but you should see it in person, my cheeks are red and I'm definitely cross-eyed. Really, it's something special.

12:40 pm: Walk over to Jamba Juice and order a carrot/orange juice. Employees all seem to find it super hilarious that I like "grandma juice" and switch their language over to Spanish so I can't understand.

12:45 pm: Employee making my drink complains about the amount of time it takes to juice a carrot. I didn't care.

12:50-2:55 pm: Wander around sweating in my nice sweater.

3:00-4:00 pm: Institute. A girl wearing all denim volunteers to conduct. First, she speaks longer than acceptable about the Masters program she is in and then asks the class to share their favorite Book of Mormon story to their neighbor. Nobody participates. Denim girl turns to me and asks me to speak up on behalf of everyone... to this I reply by waving my hand in refusal.

4:10 pm: Step outside to a surprising and violent downpour of rain.

Run to next class.

4:30-7:30 pm: Drenched, I sit through Intro to Effective Instruction.

7:35 pm: Attempt to run through the rain to buy an umbrella. I'm too scared and don't make it.

7:40-10:30 pm: Sit through Content Area Literacy. Disagree with everything and get in an argument with the professor. Awesome.

10:35 pm: Work up the courage to walk 15 minutes in a torrential storm, sans umbrella, to my car.

Water up to my ankles, literally.
Can't see where I'm going and get seriously lost.
Car splashes me with mud (just like in the movies. In fact I said that out loud to myself).
Dark
Very cold.

10:40 pm: Girl spots me from across the street, asks me if I want a ride to my car. I don't hesitate to say yes.

Sitting in Alika's car.

Alika pulls out a car breathalyzer ignition interlock. This means she's been convicted of multiple DUIs and in order to start her car she has to pass a self-conducted breathalyzer test.

While her car takes 10 minutes to start up she tells me about her prison adventures and we listen to underground hip hop. Frankly, I'm terrified.

11:00 pm: Make it to my car. Completely soaked, confused, and tired.

Looking back it's funny/sad/typical of what my first day of school in a strange town would be.

The real incongruity here is what I'm most concerned about at this point: my new sweater headed for the dry-cleaners.

8 comments:

Ashley Blackburn said...

Ha ha! I'm glad you made it out alive Amy!! Hilarious!

Emily said...

Oh my goodness the switching over to spanish so you can't understand and the breathalyzer! Oh this is just too great.

laura said...

oh dear....

Sarah said...

don't worry, asu is a really serious school where no one drinks or parties at all.

Anonymous said...

I think carrot juice should be mixed with every juice; it is absolutely delightful.

All denim, hahahahaha.

Katherine said...

I think you and Alika will get along great. haha. You forgot to mention your wonderful phone call with Katherine. Hopefully it helped ease the burden of the terrible first day of school

Anonymous said...

Wow. Institute/seminary really is just as bad in other states. Whenever you are in awkward situations like these, just picture a little me standing on your shoulder pointing the right way for you. You're welcome.

courtney brooke said...

ok its one am here, i'm sitting alone in the dark in my kitchen reading this, laughing so hard. what an awesome first day of school. i was going to blog about my first day going back to school because i was there for 11 hours. yuck. but no way does it even compare to yours. oh the people of arizona. keep hitching those rides, can't wait to hear more stories!