2.10.2010

Dummy

In a previous post I briefly mentioned a new source of distress in my life: my roommate's cat.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I dislike this cat. This is coming from a girl who, on any given day, has been known to drop by an animal shelter or pet store just to visit with any ol' Rufus or Buddy. I love animals, I hate this cat.

I started out calling it "kitty" as a term of endearment. Rejected. I then moved onto "cat" as a way of showing respect. Denied. I now call it "dummy" or "idiot," even sometimes "horse face." No matter what I call this thing it remains aloof and devious.

The first few weeks of living with it I attempted to be friendly, but every time I crouch down and offer my hand in peace it bolts like a bat out of hell. The one time I got close enough to pet it-- it hissed and I didn't see it for 5 days; however, it did leave a little kitty present of poop in front of my bathroom.

The other night I heard it breathing against my door with it's ridiculous, congested nose. Sniffing and judging. Night after night it returns, waits, and listens. Why? What have I done? Aside from calling it a few choice words and snapping at it with my fingers I've graciously rearranged my life so that we don't cross paths. I only go downstairs to do my laundry if I know this thing has already eaten. I won't use the stairs unless I'm sure it's somewhere...not on the stairs. I even skirt around all it's millions of stupid cat toys so as to not upset the balance in this thing's life.

Ugh, Nerd!

I'm done.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I have time to sit and think about whatever I want, this is it. It's given me several outbursts of joy and laughing, I can't wait to hear more.
You called it "cat" out of respect....aahaha beep boo dee doop

anna said...

Of course it is judging you. I'm glad I haven't met this cat, I have no tolerance for mean animals.

I told Daisy you were coming home Friday and she told me she was going to make you cupcakes. She also wants to finish the scrapbook you guys started together.

Karli said...

Amy I need to come visit you. I have a way with laying down the law with the cats.

Emily said...

This is everything that is good in the world.

Katherine said...

This is how I feel about all cats. I just don't understand them.

Laura N. said...

hahahahaha. man, i miss you. xoxo

Anonymous said...

amy, two or three words: BB gun. but it didn't come from me...