1.07.2011

To the Weekenders,

"Wake me up when the holidays are over."
-Anna Campbell

As funny and boldly true as that sentence is, Christmas break was much needed and greatly appreciated. My motto upon returning home for the holiday season went something like this:

Hey it's okay, be five again.

and:

Go ahead, wear those stretch pants in public.

also:

Food. Go nuts.

Alas, all good breaks must come to an end. Upon returning to Arizona I wrestled with the realization that student teaching this semester is inevitable if I want to graduate. So here I am, it's Friday, and I just completed my first week of student teaching. So far-- so good. Here's what I've learned thus far:

1. Junior High is a perfect place for someone like me who forgets to wear deodorant on a regular basis, because guess what-- so do all the children. Stench-city, USA
2. Teachers really do live at school. No, I'm serious.
3. Pre-teens will tell you if you are having a bad hair day.
4. I am the size of a pre-teen.
5. Teachers are generally confused and bewildered as much, if not more, than the students.
6. Stay out of the teacher's lounge. Gossip Girl times one billion.
7. I have a tendency to want to cradle my students on my lap when they are having a rough day... don't worry, I resist. Motherly inclinations.
8. Grades don't make sense in art.
9. I'm going deaf.
10. I have called students "Hun" more than I care to admit this week.

Here's to the weekend. May I (and us all) rest in peace.

Happy Friday!

5 comments:

anna said...

God bless you.

Anonymous said...

This is it...here we go. Up to heaven together. We're slowly progressing to that moment. I hope you remember my text today or this is going to sound weird. Too late.

I love you so much.

Allison said...

Way to go!! So proud of you Amy! (You can cradle me on a bad day any time you want)

Emily said...

stench city, USA... classic. Wish I had of been able to see you more over the break and I can't wait for more of these kind of posts!

Katherine said...

You and I should talk more about the joys of working in school. My greatest moment was when I realized that recess is really a break for the teachers to get away from the children. Not the other way around. haha