6.24.2010

MU$IC

My friend Mallory and I recently had a magical conversation about the current music on the radio. We had a good laugh/grieving moment over the ridiculousness of the lyrics that own the airwaves. How neat-- that youngsters get this stuff pounded into their brains everyday. Enjoy these lyrics from actual songs that I snagged from itunes top 10:

Aint got a care in the world, but got plenty of beer
Ain't got no money in my pocket, but I'm already here
.. I'm talking about everybody getting crunk, crunk...

California girls
We're unforgettable
Daisy Dukes
Bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin
So hot
We'll melt your popsicle
Oooooh Oh Oooooh

Hey, so I got a question
Do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement?
Do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum
Is my love your drug? your drug?
Huh, your drug?
Huh, your drug?
Is my love your drug?

I said no more teachers and no more books
I got a kiss under the bleachers hopin' that nobody looked
Lips like licorice, tongue like candy
Excuse me miss, but can I get you out your panties?

i fell in love with shawty when i seen her on the dance floor
she was dancing sexy, pop, pop, popping, dropping, dropping low
never ever has a lady hit me on the first sight
this was something special ; this was just like dynamite

I wanna be a billionaire so fricking bad
buy all of the things I never had
uh, I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine
smiling next to Oprah and the Queen
..I’d probably pull an Angelina and Brad Pitt
and adopt a bunch of babies that ain’t never had sh-t
give away a few Mercedes like here lady have this

Anyway.. I just hope that good music and real artists don't die out before I do. To end on a good note, one of my favorites:

He climbed cathedral mountains, he saw silver clouds below
He saw everything as far as you can see.
And they say that he got crazy once
and he tried to touch the sun,
and he lost a friend but kept the memory.

Now he walks in quiet solitude
the forests and the streams
seeking grace in every step he takes.
His sight has turned inside
himself to try and understand
the serenity of a clear blue mountain lake.

-Rocky Mountain High, John Denver

7 comments:

Justin said...

I refuse to believe that any of those lyrics are real. They make my brain cry.

Also, John Denver. He is great.

Ashley and Ezra said...

Oh how I love the radio! I feel like im getting old when I hear some of these songs, and I want to change the station... maybe I should listen to oldies!

Connie Whitesides said...

Bleh.... music on the radio.
I was shopping the other day and heard the "Love Drug" one. I stopped in my tracks, craned my neck to listen, and had a moment of silence for how sad the song was. Then as I came out of my grieving, I see a teenage girl grab her mom's arm and say, "This is it, that new song I love." The mother's response, "Oh yeah, I heard this the other day, it has a great beat." AAHHHHHH! What is the world coming to.
Thanks for sharing a bit of goodness that is left, John Denver.

Karli said...

I refuse to listen to the radio, and I'm proud to say I don't recognize any of those shameful songs.

Anonymous said...

You know how I feel. AMEN.
Also Ke$ha is spelled like that--with a dollar sign. Die!!!

The Neilson Family said...

It is too funny some of the lyrics. They can be catchy songs! But there is nothing like the good old songs!

Allison said...

haha. Too funny.