9.09.2009

A squirt of frosting down the throat helps to take your medication / In the most delicious way..



I highly dislike the color orange and I'm certain that it has to do with the fact that in my mind orange correlates directly with road construction.  Today while driving that was all I saw. Everywhere I looked I beheld an orange cone accompanied by a "slow" sign and arrows pointing me across all lanes of traffic to confront oncoming drivers equally enraged. Ridiculous.    

Why do we put up with this?  I'll tell you why: nobody ever questions or protests the orange cone.  In our world of dependancy on the law and politics most people never even stop and rethink why we do the things we do as a society.  I can almost guarantee that if I were to line a whole bunch of orange cones on a road leading off a cliff with arrows directing the way-- several cars would be at the bottom.  I recall an episode of The Office where Michael drives a car into a lake because his GPS car navigator tells him to do so.  Let's not be like Michael.  

I'm not suggesting that we break laws and run over orange cones (I'm not a criminal),  rather I'm suggesting that we evaluate why we follow certain orders and make sure that we aren't blindly led off cliffs or into lakes. 

Questions are a good thing and I don't ask nearly enough.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we were searching for housing out here, we depended on Google Maps and one led us into a coldesac in the middle of no where instead of the apartment complex we were trying to find. We just laughed, feeling like Michael, "The machine knows!" As he turns right into a lake.

You should read the Series of Unfortunate Events books, because one of my favorite parts is in one of the last books where they talk about crowd mentality and if they start screaming anything that the crowd will be like, "Oh yes! That's true!" even though you said, "She's the murderer! I love my mom!Cake is the worst!" and everyone follows along. Just like the cones...I laughed out loud, it's so true.
You should make your own orange signs that lead people into trees and or say things like, "Turn off your car and turn on your windshield wipers" and see who does it. And this concludes my novel-length comment.

laura said...

i live by my own set of rules. living on the edge. you want to talk traffic? move to los angeles. xo.

laura said...

and what's with the title of your blog? i don't get it. is it from arrested development? i'm slow...

Amy said...

Yes, it's a tobias quote. I know it probably doesn't make sense to most people but it makes me smile.

Sarah said...

"criminals are hott" - transformers movie

so just stick it to the cone, amy.

Lindsay said...

AMY!!!! Hello, It is lindsay siebenhaar! How are you!? Sorry to stalk you like this, it was really an accident, but I couldn't stop laughing reading your blog so I am adding you to mine. Sorry you have NO choice! lol, you look as lovely as ever, I hope life is good!

Ashley Blackburn said...

Amy, you make my day better every time I read your blog post. Questioning authority or questioning everything that people do that seems ridiculous I think got me fired from my previous job :). AMEN SISTER! Down with the man!