9.25.2009

Too much information

Everyone once in a while I forget to hook up my ipod in my car for listening pleasure. When this happens I'll usually turn to the classical station (89.1) because really, all other radio stations are embarrassing.

Yesterday I was in the car listening to the classical station when one of the radio guys with a voice to match that of a peeping-tom came on and proceeded to tell us listeners why we should support and donate to 89.1. This is how he sold it:

"Imagine this: Imagine that you wake up in the morning and Johann Sebastian Bach is holding your hand, greeting you with the morning light. Just imagine. Imagine a Mister Franz Joseph Haydn pouring you a bowl of cheerios, and some milk. Further imagine yourself delighted with the presence of Beethoven who--while driving you to work--decides to pull over and tickle your senses with a bold virtuoso. While at work you notice that Schubert has made you lunch and it's more than you could have ever asked for. After a long day of work you come home to Johann Nepomuk Hummel pouring you a glass of wine and "V"olfgang Amadeus Motzart rubbing your shoulders. Imagine all those things and more, this is Classical 89.1."

I closed my eyes, dropped my head, and longed for the return of my innocence.

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

Now I want a foot massage from one of these dead guys

anna said...

i feel violated?

Anonymous said...

Classical music will never be the same. Also, cheerios.

Anonymous said...

Tears and shock. I realized that as I visualized each of these musicians doing these things, they always winked as they did it.
I can't imagine...anything. All my imagination is gone.

Sarah said...

I heard some other reasons why we should listen to 89.1 because, like you, it is my station of choice. He spoke about how "stress" is important and also overwhelming, and that his favorite way to deal with stress is to listen to classics. I usually just take a nap and eat ice cream. Next time maybe Chopin will be there to scoop for me.