6.23.2009

USS Indianapolis


1. I love U.S. history
2. I love shark attack stories (morbid, I know)

So when I learned about the tragic story of the USS Indianapolis which combines U.S. history and sharks I was completely fascinated, still am. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the story of the USS Indianapolis so I'll attempt to sum it up...tactfully:

On July 26, 1945 the battleship USS Indianapolis delivered the first operational atomic bomb to the island of Titian which was basically intended for the attack on Japan. Having successfully delivered the bomb, the Indianapolis departed. On July 30th the Indianapolis was somewhere between Guam and the Leyte Gulf when she was hit by two torpedoes from an enemy Japanese submarine. The Indianapolis was destroyed within minutes and of the 1,196 aboard, only 900 survived...but it only got worse.

For almost five days the 900 survivors were stranded in the open water and suffered from dehydration, sunburn, and the ultimate: shark attacks.

Shark attacks began the morning of the first day and continued over the next four days. Of the 900 men, only 317 lived to be rescued. A good portion of those who died parished due to dehydration and exposure to the elements, but hundreds were killed by sharks dubbing it the worst shark attack in history.

Woody Eugene James, a survivor, recalls the shark attacks:

"The day wore on and the sharks were around, hundreds of them. You'd hear guys scream, especially late in the afternoon. Seemed like the sharks were the worst late in the afternoon than they were during the day. Then they fed at night too. Everything would be quiet and then you'd hear somebody scream and you knew a shark had got him."

Obviously an extremely tragic story but fascinating nonetheless.

I'm so grateful for all the men and women who have given their time and even their lives to protect this country. It's stories like the fate of the those on the USS Indianapolis that remind me of the cost of freedom and how much respect and admiration we owe those who have given so much to obtain it.

Sorry to get sappy but I love the good ol' USA.

For more info on the incident of the USS Indianapolis and the full account of Woody Eugene James-- go here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur with #2: although I am certain I will battle a shark to my death and/or one will drag my unconscious body down to its ocean floor dinner table (you know, you'll be there), Shark Week is my favorite television week.

This is a fascinating story. I need to get a good list of US History books from you.